One staff scientist position is available at the Human Technopole (HT) Structural Biology Research Centre in Milan to establish and manage a single-molecule biophysics platform as part of an ongoing collaboration with Lumicks. Single-molecule studies will be integrated with cryo-EM and other experimental approaches, to create a technological platform enabling the characterization of the molecular mechanisms underpinning large macromolecular complexes.
We are looking for an enthusiastic, motivated person, with a proven track record in single-molecule studies, with specific experience with Lumicks optical tweezers (C-trap and M-Trap). Demonstrated ability in interpersonal communication and collaboration, as well as strong initiative and ability to work independently, launch new projects and drive them forward are essential. Expertise in protein biochemistry and biophysics is essential. Initial training will be additionally provided by Lumicks.
The successful candidate will be a key member involved in several projects and responsible for experimental designing, data acquisition and analysis of single-molecules in collaboration with researchers of the Centre. The selected candidate will work with biochemists from different groups, providing data analysis expertise and training.
Key tasks and responsibilities:
The staff scientist will:
• advise on experimental design for single particle studies;
• advise on sample preparation, data collection, evaluation and quality control;
• cooperate with several groups to implement novel technologies;
• ensure the single molecule pipelines are world-class;
• manage access charges with periodic review to ensure sustainability;
• closely follow technological developments;
• interact with the manufacturers and engineers of the relevant equipment (Lumicks);
• organise introductions and assistance for new users;
• prepare for facility reviews by external experts;
• report regularly on progress to the structural biology user group and its chairs;
• help design and advise IT services to meet facility and user requirements;
• build effective links and collaborations within HT;
• develop links with other national and international single molecule platforms;
• support third-party fundraising where possible.
• +2 years of hands-on experience in single molecule biophisycs, in particular Lumicks C-trap and m-Trap
• PhD or equivalent qualification in a relevant subject, e.g. molecular biology, biochemistry, biophysics or a related field of science;
• Experience in sample preparation;
• Experience in single-molecule data acquisition and analisys ;
• Excellent laboratory skills and trouble-shooting;
• Ability to interact effectively with other teams and work synergistically to drive
• Meticulous organization;
• Fluency in English – HT is an international research institute;
• Proven leadership, communication, team building and problem-solving skills.
Please apply online sending:
· a full CV
· a motivation letter including a description of the background relevant to this post
· a written outline (max.4 pages long) of how you plan to set-up, manage and continuously develop the Facility, on the basis of the vision and needs specified in the call
· names and contacts of 2 referees
For specific enquires concerning the role only, please contact Prof. Alessandro Vannini: alessandro.vanniniATfht.org and Gaia Pigino: Gaia.PiginoATfht.org (these emails addresses should not be used to send applications)
HT offers a highly collaborative, international culture to foster top quality, interdisciplinary research by promoting a vibrant environment consisting of independent research groups with access to outstanding graduate students, postdoctoral fellows and core facilities.
HT is an inclusive employer that fosters diversity and engages systematically to ensure that equal employment opportunities are provided without regard to age, race, creed, religion, sex, disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national or ethnic origin or any other legally recognized status entitled to protection under applicable laws.
HT is offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to a leading, internationally competitive, research organization that promotes a collegial and open atmosphere. The compensation package granted will be internationally competitive and comprise pension scheme, medical and other social benefits and support for relocation and installation. Candidates coming to Italy for the first time, or returning after residing abroad, benefit from very attractive income tax benefits.
Application deadline: 07/02/2022